A growing body of research shows that a diet that includes a regular intake of fermented foods can bring benefits. Fermented foods are preserved using an age-old process that not only boosts the food’s shelf life and nutritional value but can give your body a dose of healthful probiotics — live microorganisms crucial to good digestion and that can help boost immunity.
This Beet Kvass is a delicious Ukrainian probiotic drink. It is made simply with beets, sea salt and water. This probiotic drink takes just 10 minutes to prepare but you will need to allow 2 weeks for fermentation.
To make this, simply dice or slice beets and add them to a large jar. Add any optional extras you like and top up with brine. Leave to ferment for 2 weeks or longer if you prefer a stronger kvass. Refrigerate and strain when you wish to drink.
3 cups of water (use filtered water as tap water may inhibit fermentation due to the chlorine)
1 heaped tbsp of salt (do not use iodized salt as this will inhibit fermentation too)
- Dice or slice, two organic beets with the skin on. Do not peel as the bacteria in the skin aids the fermentation process.
- Place the diced beets in a sterilized 4 cup jar. Add any of the optional extras you like.
- Mix 3 cups of filtered water with 1 heaping tablespoon of himalayan or sea salt. Pour this brine into the beets, leaving an inch of headroom at the top.
- Cover the jar with a loose fitting lid and place in a bowl or baking dish (to catch any drips). Place in a cool, dark, dry place.
- You can place the kvass in the refrigerator once you are happy with it. Strain if you like or you can leave the beets in like I do. If you notice any white foam appearing on top, don’t worry – it is harmless. Simply skim it off with a spoon and discard
- To use, strain the kvass into a cup and drink a few ounces daily.