This protein-packed vegan turmeric lentil soup is not only delicious and very easy to make but also packs a punch when it comes to giving your immune system a boost!
This is surprisingly easy to make and the texture of the finished soup is up to you. You could purée yours with a hand-blender if you prefer a smooth soup, or leave it alone if you prefer it really chunky.
Prep time : 15 minutes
Cook time : 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 cm piece fresh root ginger, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 medium size potato, finely chopped
- 150g dried red lentils
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- Handful of chopped coriander
- 125ml dairy free milk
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or casserole dish. Fry the onion on low heat for 2-3 until starting to soften.
- Add the ginger and the carrots to the pan. Cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Add the turmeric and the potatoes to the pan and stir.
- Rinse the red lentils in a sieve, then add to the pan followed by the stock. Bring the soup to the boil and cook for 20-25 minutes until the lentils are soft.
- Cook for a further minute, then taste and season well with sprinkle of salt and/or pepper.
- You can use a blender to blitz the soup to a smooth purée or use a potato masher to break up any large chunks of vegetable, or just leave it as a chunky soup.
- Stir through the dairy free milk and the lemon juice.
- Serve, topped with chopped coriander – enjoy!